101 Questions and Answers on Interviews

Tell About Yourself

The interviewer wants to know about your:



  • current job;
  • background, education and training;
  • skills and strengths that make you good at the job;
  • experience and accomplishments;
  • attraction to your particular fi eld and how you got into it;
  • high points of your career so far;
  • goals for the future.


I’m a management consultant with 12 years’ experience gained across industries and sectors ranging from financial services and retail to petrochemicals and media. I am responsible for business development activities and last year sold projects totaling £400,000 to clients. On a day-today basis, I also manage a team of up to eight consultants and junior consultants. But more than being a good consultant, I like to think of myself as a fair and democratic person as I try hard to listen to my clients as well as my team.


I’m a self-starter, highly motivated, energetic, and results oriented, but cooperative and a team player as well. I’m a good communicator and can help others focus on a goal and motivate them to attain it. Enthusiasm and energy are contagious, and I’m infected with both. As a result, the groups I’ve worked with become highly charged and very successful. I’m persuasive, but I also have good listening skills. I’m sensitive to my environment and those around me. I value excellence.


 I’m currently the floor supervisor at Molly’s, which is a busy bar and restaurant in Brighton. I’m responsible for all aspects of management, ranging from stock taking and ordering to end-of-day cashing up. I run a team of seven staff and am responsible for training, hiring and firing. The hours can be quite long, but I enjoy it and like the mix of activities from dealing with customers to managing the staff.


 I’ve been a childcare assistant for the last three years, working with physically and mentally impaired children between the ages of eight and 14. I’ve really enjoyed it and have developed some skills such as being creative and being extremely patient. I also spend a lot of time dealing with the children’s parents and have to demonstrate really good listening skills with them. I’ve now decided that I want to expand my horizons and travel, which is why I’ve decided to change careers into being a holiday rep – but I hope that my creativity, patience and listening skills will hold me in good stead in this new industry.


 Well, I’m currently an account executive at Smith, where I handle our top performing client. Before that, I worked at an agency where I was on three different major national healthcare brands. And while I really enjoyed the work that I did, I’d love the chance to dig in much deeper with one specific healthcare company, which is why I’m so excited about this opportunity with Metro Health Center.


Sure! So I've always enjoyed writing and public speaking, even going back to high school. This led me to pursue writing-related passions, for example in college, where I was an editor for our school newspaper. In addition to writing, I got to learn how to manage a team and the writing process. After college, I took a job at Acme as a social media manager, writing copy and social content for the company blog, but I raised my hand to work on the communications plan for a product launch which is where I discovered my interest in product marketing. After switching to a product marketing role and managing the two most successful new product launches last year, I realized I'm excited to take on a new role. I've learned I work best on products that I love and use, and given that I'm a big user of your company’s products I jumped at the chance to apply when I saw the open posting.


I've been in the marketing industry for over five years, primarily working in account and project management roles. I most recently worked as a senior PM for a large tech company managing large marketing campaigns and overseeing other project managers. And now I'm looking to expand my experience across different industries, particularly fintech, which is why I'm so interested in joining an agency like yours.


I am a [give a brief description]. I’m an experienced [major aspect of the job] with an extensive knowledge of [relevant knowledge area] including [a key point]. My main skills [or qualifications] are [two or three key ones].


I also have experience in [your next most relevant skill or knowledge], including [develop one or two key points]. My achievements include [two or three major achievements]. The benefits to my current employer have been [outline the benefits – what you have increased, decreased or improved]. I believe the position you’re offering would allow me to [what you want to do or develop]. 

 What are your strengths?



As an office manager with Global Gadgets, I have excellent organisation skills and really good attention to detail – I’m not the sort of person who does things by halves. I also believe that I have good communication skills in dealing with not only external customers, but also all members of the internal team – from the senior managers to the junior researchers.


I’ve been told that I’m a very good manager. My team tells me that I give them a lot of freedom in how to do their work, which they really appreciate. They also say that I’m really enthusiastic, so when we’re faced with too much work, they tell me that my manner really helps to keep them motivated and calm. My boss also tells me that I’m very innovative in terms of finding new ways of working that cut out inefficiency.


 The people who have worked for me will tell you that I am fair and that I have a balanced approach to managing, one that considers both the business and people side of every issue. They know I don’t make hasty decisions that everyone will repent at leisure. And working for me usually means being on a winning team with a coach who expects everyone to give 110 percent. I ask a lot, but they love it.


 I’ve always adapted well to new work situations with a great deal generally, drive, and initiative. I like taking on new challenges and working with people who have clear goals in mind, But 17m not just a “starter” who gets bored after the “new” becomes “routine. ”I like getting things started and seeing them to the very end. I guess I would say my greatest strength is keeping focused on what needs to be done, and then doing it.

I believe my greatest strengths with regard to this job are my experience, my reliability, and my [a relevant skill]. I’ve been working in [your relevant background] for x years and my knowledge of [relevant area] and familiarity with [relevant process or equipment] mean I can do the job competently and effi ciently. I believe my current employer would agree that I can be relied on to do the job even under diffi culties/pressure. For example, [describe a time you did that]. 

What are your weaknesses?

Pick a couple of minor weaknesses that are of little relevance to the job.


My natural tendency is to make up my mind very quickly – and in the past this has got me into trouble. But I have come to realize that speed is not always appropriate, so I always remind myself that I may need to collect more information and weigh up the pros and cons. Nowadays, if I am at all uncertain about a decision, I will seek input from colleagues.


What might be perceived by some as weaknesses are really my strengths. I expect a lot from my staff, but no more than I expect from myself. I look for and reward people who show initiative and creativity.
People I’ve supervised in the past will tell you that they worked harder in my department than in any other job. They’ll also tell you they enjoyed it more, because they were accomplishing more.


One of my weaknesses was to take on too many projects with too little time to complete any to my satiation. I’ve learned to prioritize and set more realistic goals. As a result, I’in much more focused and productive in both my professional and personal lives.


I’m a bit of a perfectionist. I won’t rest if I know something isn’t right.


I’ve been accused of being a workaholic because I can’t relax while there’s something that needs doing.

Last year, I would have said speaking in public and giving presentations, but since I went on a course to improve my skills it’s no longer a problem. 

Why should we hire you?

Think about what you can give, rather than what you hope to get. Concentrate on things that mean you can work at your best: conditions, management methods, opportunities, challenges, the company structure, reputation and so on. Tell the interviewer about the positive things you can contribute under those conditions. Some examples:


Your advert said that you were looking for someone who is highly numerate, has good team working and presentation skills, and a willingness to work hard. I hope that my experience as a financial analyst at Transworld Bank shows that I’m good with numbers. Both of the jobs I’ve held so far have required me to work often long hours in a close-knit team, and it’s something that I very much enjoy. And my boss singled out my presentation skills in my last appraisal. So I think that I am a very strong candidate.


I assume you are looking for someone with a solid track record in sales and marketing of automotive parts. I will bring to this job 12 years of progressive experience in all phases of sales and marketing of both domestic and foreign automotive parts. In iny last job I increased sales by 20 percent each year for the past jive years. I have a consistent pattern of pegormance employers readily seek,
including your competition. I would think this is something your organization would want to bring on board.


I’m looking for a position where I can use my [relevant skill or area of experience] to the full. I believe this job provides that opportunity. I also see it as a natural development from [your experience, further qualifi cations or training, etc].


I believe [company name] provides a challenging, stimulating and supportive environment for its employees [for example]. I have x number of years’ experience in [your fi eld of work] and have [mention a couple of achievements]. I’m looking for the opportunity to continue to achieve at that level and beyond, in a company that will help me develop professionally. I believe your company offers just such an opportunity.


I’ve enjoyed working in [your current job], especially [mention a key feature], but it’s a small company and unfortunately there’s no opportunity for advancement in the near future [for example]. I believe an expanding company [for example] such as yours offers a greater range of challenges and opportunities, in particular [a key responsibility or skill mentioned in the job description that you want to develop further].

What experience do you have for this job?

I have x number of years’ experience working in [your relevant career background], where my achievements include [give relevant examples]. My familiarity with [a rele vant process, piece of equipment or working environment, for example] will allow me to contribute to the job from the start. I understand [a key element from the job description that demonstrates you know what the job involves], and the importance of [another key skill or ability]. These have been essential elements in my current job and I appreciate their importance. For example, [give a short anecdote demonstrating your use of these skills].


What did you learn from your last job?

Interviewers like to see that you are learning and developing. Consider:


  • the personal qualities you have developed;
  • responsibilities you have taken on;
  • practical skills you have developed.


I’m always willing to learn and my current position has taught me a number of things. I’ve developed [a skill or ability] through [a responsibility or role you took on]. I would also say that I’ve learned the importance of [a relevant skill or personal quality you learnt the value of and developed further as a result]. For example, [give a couple of brief anecdotes showing these competencies in action].


How well do you work in a team?

  • communicative;
  • supportive of the other members;
  • flexible – they fi t in with others and adapt to changing demands;
  • unselfish – they put the needs of the other team members on a level with their own;
  • interested in the success of the team as a whole, not just their own performance.


From past experience, I know I enjoy being part of a team, I like the camaraderie and that feeling of all working together towards a common goal [for example]. I believe a good team member should be [choose from the list above] and I try to demonstrate these qualities when working with others. For example, in my last job, [give your example of working well in a team, demonstrating at least one key quality from the list].

Why do you want to change jobs?

Good reasons for changing your job include:
  • opportunity: the chance to develop or do something new;
  • challenge: more demanding responsibilities;
  • promotion: the job you are applying for is a step up from your current one;
  • money: your salary no longer refl ects your value;
  • reputation: applying to a more prestigious company;
  • security: a more secure job with a more stable company (as long as ‘challenge and ambition’ weren’t key words in the job ad);
  • location: the company you are applying to is in a better or more convenient place (a useful extra, but try not to make it your main reason).

I’ve enjoyed working [in your current job], especially the opportunity they have given me to [mention something you have achieved]. Unfortunately, it’s a small company and there’s no opportunity for advancement with it in the near future [for example – the promotion reason].


I enjoy working [in your current job], and I’ve particularly appreciated [mention a few key points]. However, since developing my bookkeeping skills [for example] over the past year, I now fi nd this side of the job more appealing. Unfortunately, a suitable position using these skills is unlikely to arise in the near future so I’m looking for a post where I can develop them more fully [the opportunity reason]. I believe this job offers just such an opportunity.

You’ve had some very different jobs

Reassure the interviewer that what seem like random job choices actually make sense. Most people have natural aptitudes and preferences, so it isn’t as difficult as it sounds. Perhaps they all use problem-solving skills or interpersonal skills. Maybe they all require organisation or creativity. Demonstrate how each job relates to the others, what they have in common, and how the skills you have learnt will be relevant and useful in the new job.
READ

Post a Comment

1 Comments

  1. This is how my pal Wesley Virgin's story starts with this SHOCKING AND CONTROVERSIAL VIDEO.

    You see, Wesley was in the army-and shortly after leaving-he discovered hidden, "SELF MIND CONTROL" secrets that the CIA and others used to obtain whatever they want.

    These are the same methods lots of famous people (especially those who "became famous out of nothing") and top business people used to become rich and successful.

    You probably know that you use less than 10% of your brain.

    That's really because the majority of your brainpower is UNCONSCIOUS.

    Maybe that expression has even occurred INSIDE your own brain... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's brain 7 years back, while riding a non-registered, garbage bucket of a car with a suspended license and $3.20 in his bank account.

    "I'm absolutely fed up with living paycheck to paycheck! Why can't I become successful?"

    You've taken part in those thoughts, ain't it right?

    Your success story is waiting to start. You need to start believing in YOURSELF.

    Learn How To Become A MILLIONAIRE Fast

    ReplyDelete

Comment are ♥♥♥